Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Ooey, Slimy But oh, so Good!

I will admit, I am a Pinterest junkie.  I enjoy pinning all these wonderful things that I can do with the kids, or around the house or yard, and I thought I would share one of the things we did that I got off of Pinterest that the kids absolutely LOVE!  (I know a lot of adults that love it, too!)
 
 
In the craft section of Wal-Mart I bought some packages of water beads;  they are tiny granules that expand in water after about 6 hours of soaking.  The original idea is to put them in vases to keep flowers moist without adding water too often, while adding some color to the vase.  Now don't be thinking of the glass beads; that's what most people think when I talk about this.  There is nothing 'glassy' about these except the final look.
 
We got a plastic container and put water in it.  As you can see, Moose is checking it out.
 
 We added 3 small packages and 1 large package of beads to the water.  (Note - when I do this again I won't mix them all together until they are at their full size.  I had some clear, yellow, orange and red beads and the end result was orange.  It's not a bad thing, but I want to try it with the beads their actual colors, not all one color.)  (Another note - the color does bleed a bit onto clothes and hands so if you don't want that, just get the clear beads.)

 This is the beads at their original size......
 

This is the size they ended up!
 
Yes, they look like marbles and everyone we have shown them to have said that, but once your hands are in them, you know the difference.  They feel wet, almost slimy.  N loves to sit in them and kick them out (they bounce fantastically!) and watch the older girls chase them to put them back in the container.  You either love the feel, or hate it!  You should get some and see if you are a lover or a hater, then let me know!  Have fun!!

No comments: