Monday, February 4, 2013

My Superman and his Kryptonite

 I should preface this by telling you he's had a cold for the past few weeks.  Nothing exciting; boogers, hoarse voice in the morning, boogers, more boogers.  But who hasn't had that with the crap we've been breathing here in the Salt Lake valley the past few months? 
 
So on Saturday Mike and I had a funeral to go to and Alex spent the morning with my parents.  When we went to pick him up, we all sat down and ate a little lunch.  Alex literally fell asleep in his food!  We all laughed and commented he must be tired, so we took him home and I laid down with him.
 
This picture is literally 20 seconds after he laid on my shoulder.  He was out!!!  Stayed asleep for an hour, then woke up and did his own thing.  Not a lot of energy, but again, he's had a cold and we are all cooped up in the house.  How much energy can you have when you play with 'guys' sitting on the couch?
 
Sunday morning:  Alex woke up and was a bit extra cuddly, but that's not alarming.  For a big boy, he loves to cuddle!  He did say he "didn't feel good" but that's a hard thing to judge on a Sunday morning.  He doesn't like going to church - wait.  Let me re-phrase that.  He doesn't like leaving the house to go to church.  Once he's there he's fine.  He's just my homebody!!  So, him and I got ready to go to a baby blessing in Bluffdale.  After he told me a few hundred times that he "didn't feel good", and he fell asleep on the way to the blessing, I figured after the meeting we would go to the urgent care facility that his docs belong to. 
 
He slept through the 20 minutes we stayed at the meeting (I didn't dare stay any longer and risk getting everyone "sick"), slept all the way home (we changed and ate lunch) then he slept all the way to the doctor's office.  We had a 30 minute wait before going back into the patients room, and he sat against me and watched their TV.  When we got into the room he talked to the nurse, answered all her questions and when she left he cuddled up to me and fell asleep on my shoulder.  When the doctor came in and we couldn't get ANY response out of him, she got concerned.  She was in the room for 15 minutes, and Alex wouldn't wake up for anything!  So...
 
 the called an ambulance for him.  While waiting for the ambulance, the nurse put an IV in his arm.  That's what finally woke him up!  (I took this picture from our car because the urgent care facility isn't in the nicest of areas, AND, as Alex reminded me, he "is 16 mom!"  And I figured, what the heck!  If he's not safe in an ambulance, where is he safe at?!  So I followed them to Primary Children's)  So he stayed awake through the whole ride there, and was awake when I finally made it into his room after checking in.
 
Let's shorten this a bit;  after a nasal swab, chest x-ray, blood work times 2, and an EKG the only thing they could surmise is his carbon dioxide was 3 times the amount it should be in his system.  (We breathe in oxygen, we breathe out carbon dioxide)  Obviously, he's not breathing right.  The second time they checked it - this time from his finger instead of his arm - the levels were where they were supposed to be so they sent us home.
 
Within 5 minutes of us being in the car he was 'passed out' again.  So much so that I went through the McD's drive through, and still got no response from Alex.  I had to pull off to a parking spot to shake him awake!  If you know Alex at all, you know that if anything will perk him up it's McDonald's!
 
The only reason I can come up with that he stayed awake through the 5 hour hospital stay is he was SO upset about the IV he couldn't sleep if he wanted to!

 I took this picture to show Mike how mad he was.  He wouldn't relax his arm, he wouldn't let us put the sleeve down, he just cried and complained about that stupid IV!

This is him right now.  He woke up early, ate breakfast and is now sitting in the living room in a rocking chair, trying to get any little bit of sunlight that is filtering through the smog.  And he's zonked!  Moose jumped up on him - nothin!  I went out front to take out the garbage - nothin!  The phone has rang a few times, and I can hear A talking through the baby monitor, and he's in there snoozin.
 
My frustration is this...which doctor do I call?  And I just say, what? He's sleepy?  You know they will just say, "Then let him sleep."  I am so glad he did this passing out routine in front of the doctor yesterday, because otherwise I would look like a mom trying to get attention.
 
So.  I will call the docs I think I should call and see what they have to say. 
 
My superhero is tired.  Carbon dioxide must be his Kryptonite.  Let's hope we can get rid of the extra in his body so he can be back to his old self, again!


1 comment:

heather said...

Do you have a pulse oximeter? That's how Morgan acts when her oxygen is low with pneumonia. That wouldn't show carbon dioxide levels but it would show his oxygen. Personally, if it was Morgan, I would take her back up to PCMC ER and tell them she's very lethargic and not her self and you'd rather be safe and have him checked.