Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A bit more info on Kryptonite...

I want to thank everyone for their support - as always!  It's so nice to know that people care.

It's not that I ever thought people don't care, but sometimes, especially when no one can give you answers and you are totally confused, you feel alone.  And when you know people care, that loneliness seems to fade a bit!

Yesterday, Alex had 3 'episodes' in the morning, but seemed back to his old self by 2 in the afternoon.  Was fine all evening, and when he woke up, he seemed like nothing had happened.  I kept him home today, not knowing what to expect, and he was so 'normal' I told him I was going to ship him off to school if he didn't stop bugging the girls!

I have talked to doctor after doctor about this - can I just say Alex has the best docs who truly care about him? They all called me! - and they are as mystified as we are.  I am SO glad he had this 'problem' in front of a doctor so I don't look like a panicked mom.  But we still don't know what's going on.

To review what we DO know:
     *Alex had episodes of altered awareness, where he is non-responsive on Saturday and Sunday.
     *His oxygen is fine during these 'spells', and he doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe, just not responsive.
     *One blood gas test (taken from the IV) showed levels of carbon dioxide in his blood 3 times what it should be, but the next one 2 hours later (taken from the fingertip) was normal.
     *All other tests (EKG, chest xray) showed nothing to be concerned about

What's interesting about these things is none of it makes sense.  ESPECIALLY the blood gas tests.  I've learned a lot about these tests over the past few days.  At first I wondered if the second one was fine because Alex was freaking out so much about the IV - he hated it and told anyone and everyone that would listen to him.  He even cried for a solid 1/2 hour.  Actually, he threw a fit!  So I thought maybe all the screaming and crying kind of 'cleansed' him.  No one has actually told me otherwise to that, so I still don't know if I'm right or not.  But I have been told that the second test - from his fingertip - should have been worse than the one from the IV. 

All the docs say - which I do appreciate because it validates a lot of how I feel - is "it's just Alex."  He's never done things the normal or right way.  Always the "I've never heard of that before" way.

So today one of the doc's assistants said that all the tests they see from PCMC shows that Alex has metabolic acidosis and metabolic alkalosis.  After reading these, I'm still confused.  It sounds just like what we've been going through the past few days, even things I didn't associate with this (never-ending hunger and appetite.  I just chalked it up to him being a teenager, but it HAS been worse the past few days), but I still haven't learned why...? or how...?

We did get an appointment with his pulmonologist tomorrow - got someones cancellation - so hopefully we will find out if he really does have those problems, or what exactly is going on and what to do about it!!!

I will write more when we find out!!  But, again.  Thanks for the support!!!

No comments: