Monday, May 17, 2010

Alex is doing so good!!

Here's a picture of Alex just chillin' in his bed, playing with 'guys'. Notice he's on his side! He rolls all over the place. He is getting better at helping me help him; he slides to the edge of the bed and helps move his body to the wheelchair, or from the wheelchair to the bed, he helps with toileting, and he's getting better at eating without my help. That sounds funny, but his cast goes so high up on his chest it's hard to see past to get the food if his plate is sitting on his stomach, and if I put the plate up on the cast on his chest, it sits above his head and he can't see what he's getting. Josh made a ramp for the front steps for me because with this added extra weight of the cast, and the extra length of the wheelchair (it has to recline to accommodate the angle of his cast), I was having a hard time getting him in and out of the house. And I think the most amazing part of this to me is he has had NO pain meds. Not even any Tylenol. This kid has such a high threshold of pain!!

Now if I pan back a bit in the picture, you will see Alex's 'bedroom' is now in our living room! His wheelchair is so long it won't make the corner into his bedroom! So, we've officially become white trash and have a bed and dresser in our living room! We brought up a TV from the basement that sits at the end of his bed so he can watch movies or play video games, and I emptied his dresser then moved it into the living room so I could put toys, markers, notebooks and coloring books in it so even though we are white trash, we can be tidy white trash. I'm sure every day we will make adjustments, but so far so good!
Now we just need to figure out how I'm going to get him in and out of the suburban to doctor's appointments!!

1 comment:

Joosten said...

Natalie,
I am so glad Alex is doing so good! He is one tough kid!! Jacob saw his pictures today when I was reading your blog and was so worried when he saw Alex's pictures! Hope everything continues to get better each day.