Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our new vehicle!



Check out my new vehicle!! The suburban - also referred to as the beast or the monster, at least by me - literally blew up coming down the canyon on State Road 6 at 2:30 in the morning!
I was driving home a sick young woman from girl's camp - which is unusual for me. I would normally just make them wait it out until morning, especially with all the rain we had on the day before. The dirt road up to camp was a mess!! But, I put her in the burb and off we went. Two hours later, right in the middle of the canyon, KABLOOEY!! Smoke everywhere. No movement in the steering wheel. No engine.
We made it to the side of the road and waited. And waited. And waited. Even with smoke hurling out of our engine, no one dared to stop to offer assistance. What does that say about the state of our world when everyone is too scared of the monster that might be lurking in the disabled vehicle on the side of the road? We didn't even have phone service. We said a prayer, and I knew I would know when to flag someone down. So we waited again. When the prompting hit me, I got out of the burb with my flashlight and waved someone down. They passed us at first, but turned around to help. It was a young man with two young women. I gave them our home phone number and asked them to please call Mike as soon as they got phone service. They did and my knight in shining armor arrived later. Actually, when they called they said, "We just ran into your wife...." which of course he took as meaning, "We just plowed into your vehicle with your wife in it." Once they cleared up the real meaning, Mike got my mom to come sit with Alex at our house and he borrowed her car and came to get us. In the meantime, me and the young woman slept. Quite comfortably, actually! Which is weird in and of itself, because I am scared of the dark. I am SCARED to DEATH of the dark!! But felt very comfortable and calm, so took a little snooze. We went home, Mike let me sleep in then returned to camp with me the next day.
All in all a nice little adventure, and another testament of the power of prayer.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm really glad you blogged! Convince those girls of yours to do it to!

Anonymous said...

What a great family picture!!! What an awesome family!! You are such a great mom, wife, friend...and i love you!! Please keep blogging, I learn so much from you, even across the miles!!