Sunday, January 23, 2011

I shouldn't be alive...

... and yet, here I am writing about it.

I was driving southbound on I-15, barely passing Thanksgiving Point. Good weather, not a lot of cars on the road, music on the radio. I was in the carpool lane, wanting to get out of it. The car to the right of me passed right by, I looked over my shoulder, no cars so started to proceed over as I looked back towards the front. The car that had passed me had slowed way down and I was going to hit it. I turned quickly back left to the carpool lane and that's when it started. I don't know if I over corrected too quickly, or if it's because I touched the brakes so suddenly and I was in cruise, but all of a sudden I was only on my 2 left wheels heading straight for the middle barrier. Of course I tried to turn right to avoid this which made me go onto only my two right tires, but for a quicker amount of time. Then I was spinning. It felt like I circled around 100 times, but I didn't even make a complete circle, all the while skidding across all four lanes. I ended up stopping almost completely backwards toward traffic, which had all stopped with no problems at all. I had done all this without touching any part of the barrier, or any cars whatsoever. I hadn't contributed to another crash - obvious to me since I had a great straight shot at the traffic that was 'behind' me - so I turned around and continued on my way. I think that was the freakiest part. In my mind I kept thinking of the stupid things; "How will we pay for the hospital bills?" "Do I have my phone so I can call anyone?" and the question that I hope I NEVER have to ask is "Did I hurt anyone else?" But when it was all over within just a split second, I just drove away as if nothing happened.

A few drivers that had seen all this stared at me as they went past me, but I think they were just as stunned as I was. I definitely had an angel helping me that day. I am very blessed to be here. Treasure every moment!

3 comments:

Janene said...

Wow! I think my jaw hit the floor as I was reading that. Glad you are safe!

Amber said...

I am so glad that you came away unharmed. That is one crazy event.

Colin and Ranie said...

Holy crapoly! I am with Janene. I am SO glad you are safe, uninjured, and so protected with your little angels up there. You know them and they are watching you every day. You are so blessed. LOVE YOU!