Monday, August 25, 2008

Yoo-hoo!! Al's at school!!

So, it's 1:00 in the afternoon and I've only gotten one phone call from Al's school!! And that was the teachers and nurse calling about his lunch shot. You see, Mike and I have been so excited - and scared to death - about Alex starting a new school year. Let me explain;

EXCITED; We're lucky because he has the same teacher he had last year (that we love) , with an assistant (that we adore) that he had a few years ago. Plus, since I have been in survival mode this summer, I have done nothing to further Alex's IQ score, unless they now have a section on the IQ test about watching movies or playing the Wii. He needs more structure than I was giving him. And I need to get back into the swing of things. (I guess life really does go on, Huh?) So, we're excited to get back on track.

SCARED; Well, I have certainly 'earned' the mommy of the summer award!! "Mommy, can I watch a movie?" "Sure." ...... as was said before, that was the extent of our summer. Unfortunately for everyone, I just let him watch what he wanted. I'm usually good about checking up on him, commenting every now and then about what he's watching, and certainly only allowing one movie a day, max. Not the past few months! So now Alex has some great habits that he had to have picked up from movies. Yes, the same ones I allowed him to watch, and re-watch, and watch again, because it allowed me to go to 'my happy place', which means take a nap, and not worry about where he was, when I should have been worrying about something! So..... Alex has picked up 'smoking'. And cussing. And rebelling. GREAT habits, huh? He couldn't pick up habits like cleaning the house, or saving the whales, or even raising a better mother? So, I'm waiting with baited breath for that phone call telling me that Alex was 'smoking' a pencil during reading time, or he called the librarian a bad name.

But, like I said..... 2 hours to go on his first day, and no such phone call! I think we can call this day a success!!

2 comments:

Colin and Ranie said...

Ha. Ha. Ha. You make me laugh. Congrats on your successful day! You ARE a great mother despite what you claim.

Emily said...

I agree with Ranie, you are a wonderful Mother. I have years & years of watching & admiring you to back that up:) First days are always a mixture of emotions aren't they? I'm glad that it went well.