Monday, June 7, 2010

He's made it 3 weeks in his cast...

...now only 4 more to go!!

I have to admit, Alex has done an amazing job with this cast. Not that it should surprise me. He is such a trooper! He gets around fantastically - sometimes too good when he walks even though he's not supposed to - and doesn't complain much at all. In fact, the biggest complain I hear is when it's time to turn off the video games, but he complained about that before his surgery!!

His appointment to see how things are going, and how much longer the cast needs to stay on is on June 30, which will be 7 weeks exactly from his surgery. I am nervous. Or pessimistic, I'm not sure which. I can't get rid of that gut feeling that this just isn't going to work. I'm not usually a pessimist, although if you read through some of my past posts you may disagree with that. But still deep down I am afraid that we will have to do more surgery, and that he will never be the same athletic-run-around-try-anything kind of kid.

But - he is able to get in and out of his wheelchair with minimal help, him and I have figured out the toileting routine, the few sores he has gotten have healed up nicely and he is generally happy. What more could I ask for at this point? I 'm very proud of how well he has adjusted to this part of his life. Way to go, big guy!!

No comments: