Thursday, July 30, 2009

I HATE KIDNEY STONES!!!

I ended up in the emergency room the other night with kidney stones. Not my first adventure with stones, but an adventure none the less. Thank goodness for kind neighbors , a babysitting dad, a sweet husband and great meds, I'm doing fine.
I woke up a few days ago with what I thought were symptoms of the beginning of a bladder infection. Again, not the first time with those, either, but now that I look back, things were different. A lot of cramping pain, but not bad enough to do anything about it. Heating pads and ibuprofen. Then, on Tuesday evening while I was fixing dinner I got a 'spasm' that made me feel like I HAD to go to the bathroom. Annoying!!! As it progressed, I thought it must be a stone not an infection, and 2 hours later I was gasping for breath, clutching on to anything that wouldn't scream from the death hold, and shipping Alex off to Grandpa Scott's while my neighbor Jill took me to the ER. Mike was in a meeting, but Jill told him as soon as he got home, so he turned around and met me there. (Sweet guy, huh!) He takes great care of me. 4 hours later I was home with pain meds, pacing the floor and hoping for some more relief. At 6 am - with NO sleep and still a lot of pain - I told myself, "Wait until 6:15. If you still hurt this bad Mike can take you back to the ER." At 6:05, the stone moved and the pain was gone. Needless to say, but after staying awake all night, and being on pain meds, I slept the whole day away yesterday!! Mike stayed home from work and took care of Alex and the house, and I was oblivious. I had to take pain meds every 4 hours, until bedtime. That's when I got the surprise pictured below!! Cute little thing, huh? Haven't named him yet, but I'm sure it will be something like 'Hell'. That pretty much describes the adventure!! Anyway, I took pictures of the big one by a cheerio, and then the other picture is of 2 out of 5 that I just passed this morning. They're much smaller, but closer to the average size. From what I understand, they're on the big end of average, so that shows you how big this sucker was! Some of you may think it's weird that I would take a picture of these things, let alone blog about them, but, hey! I figure I have something to show for the drama, I might as well share. Now I guess I'll stop eating all of my favorite foods since they are what causes these stones in the first place.

Picture of smaller (more average sized) stones next to a cheerio.

'HELL.'

3 comments:

Jen said...

Oh man, I feel your pain! Kidney Stones are the worst. I think Hell is kind of cute...you should frame him! You would think pushing an 8 pound baby out would hurt worse, but I've heard it's about the same on the pain level. Guess I'll find out in 7 weeks!

Unknown said...

I think Hell is the perfect name. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who names annoying objects naughty words ("Damn Fence" was the bane of my existence during the first year of college...Don't tell Bish/Husband!)

Glad you are feeling better.

Colin and Ranie said...

Holy Crap! That is a big sucker. I am so sorry you had to go through yet another kidney stone and one so freaking huge! Glad you and Cali have husbands that take care of you (I just read her blog about him cleaning and moving). We are lucky girls aren't we! When you are completely relieved from all the pain, call me. Love ya!