Friday, December 7, 2012

Al's first official wrestling match

Alex had his first official wrestling match against another school the other day.  Actually, he was able to wrestle against 2 different schools.  The first one (who shall remain nameless) was over and done with in 15 seconds.  I really don't even think it lasted that long, but it took the time keepers a few seconds to register their brains to stop the clock.  If I hadn't had my camera on sports mode, I wouldn't have any pictures, but as it is I do have a few.
 
The handshake...
 

...Al gets a hold of the opponent...


...the opponent picks Al up...


...and he's down...
 

...and out! 
The poor kid didn't know what hit him.  It probably took you longer to read this and scroll through the pics than it did for the match to last. 
 
He cried.  Like a little girl.  I don't know if it's because he was upset, or scared. 
But then a hero from Bear River High came to the rescue.  A young man asked if he could wrestle Alex, and that he would let him win.  I told him,  "I don't care if Alex loses, in fact, I hope he does sometimes, but let him take a breath!"  About 10 minutes later, a mom holding a baby with Down Syndrome came up to introduce herself (and the baby) and said that her older son was on Bear River's team and was so excited to see Alex there;  yes.  It's the same kid who asked if he could wrestle Alex.
So they put on their 'colors' and shake hands...
 

...and the kid gave Alex a good fight!!


 










This is a new move...
...I think it will be called 'The Alex'!
 















Finally!  They went the full 3 rounds and Alex got him in position...
...and pinned him!
 
 

And here is the winning salute...
...that lasted longer than the ref did!
 
 

Al wanted a picture of his paper.  The O is his and the X is his opponents and X means he was pinned by O.  Alex was SOOO proud!  And so was I.  Not only of Alex for trying so hard, but of this young man who let Alex work up a sweat and try, try, try, and then finally win. 
 
What I REALLY liked, was the coach from the green team, the team who whooped Al's butt...walked up to the Bear River kid and said, "That was the greatest thing I've ever seen!"
 
He had another match last night, but I didn't get pictures because my camera's battery died, but we had another hero, this time from Copper Hills High.  The Copper Hills kid wrestled an opponent, a hard, long match, then turned around and wrestled Alex right after.  And while he was wrestling, he kept giving Alex hints; "Turn me this way."  "Put your hands on my back."  "Almost there.  Keep trying!"
 
There really are Prince Charmings out there!  Thanks to those parents (and coaches) who have taught these young men that there is more to life than winning!! 
 
Oh, and one little side note;  Al got a singlet to wear for his match with Copper Hills.  He is very proud of it, and I will HAVE to get a picture at the next match.  But let's just say Al has a great physique!  His J-Lo is very well defined in his uniform!  He may not get a state title, but he will definitely win The Booty of the Year award!!!

3 comments:

Kennedy Klan said...

You don't know me, but I found your blog through the baby Mac link. I just wanted to let you know how this post touched my heart. I had tears in my eyes on the pics of that very nice young man that let your son pin him. You see, I have a sister that has Turners Syndrome ( a cousin to Downs) and well there are some people that are not very nice to her. And then there are others who go the extra mile.
This post just warmed my heart so much and I was just grateful to see that there are kind people in this world that want to show love to these special needs kids. Thank you so much and I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. :)

Amber said...

that is SO great! I am crying like a little girl. I love Al and those amazing young men! We would love to come see him in action! let me know his schedule.

Georges said...

Hi Natalie! We miss you guys so much!! I didn't know Alex wrestled! What a story! That did my heart good.