Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Whoo-hoo! The cast is gone!!

Today is 7 weeks from the surgery, and they took Alex's cast off! I am so proud not only of how well he endured the 7 weeks, but also with how well he did when they took the cast off. I was worried - loud noise, moving his legs - but he was a trooper. I'm sure the ear coverings we brought from home helped, but if you notice in the later pictures he's not even wearing them.

Before they started...




... cut on the inside of the leg...



...then the outside of the leg, then on his left side of his body... (notice his hands. He's saying, "OOOOOO. Tickles!" and wiggling his fingers like he's tickling someone!)



...they used a "can opener' to open the slits and off popped the cast!



...A little more cutting to get it all off and...





...VOILA!! 2 naked legs!
He has complained more today than he has throughout the whole 7 weeks, but after being in one position for so long, I'm sure his muscles are tight and sore. And he's not really complaining THAT much. I just know he hurts because he's not a complainer at all, so any little whimper and I know he's in pain.

My superhero may not have abs of cast anymore, but he's still my hero! a
And a big thank you to Shriner's for their great job. They are very pleased with how everything looks so far. We go back in on Friday to be measured for a hip abductor (splint) that he will wear when walking just to protect him, and hopefully no more surgery!!
Way to go Alex!!

No comments: